Nowadays, more and more adults are beginning to pay attention to their facial and oral problems, and orthodontic treatment for adults has become a trend. Dental and maxillofacial deformities are not only detrimental to oral hygiene, but also affect oral functions such as facial aesthetics and chewing to a certain extent. As a chronic disease, periodontal disease requires lifelong maintenance and treatment once it is discovered. However, many adults have different degrees of periodontal disease, ranging from gingival inflammation to severe periodontal tissue inflammation and even alveolar bone resorption, which eventually leads to tooth loosening and loss. So what about adult orthodontic patients with periodontal problems? Correctly receive orthodontics?
Orthodontic treatment usually refers to the treatment of occlusal abnormalities caused by one’s own teeth. Therefore, Chinese dental laboratory consultants usually need to explain the concept of orthodontic treatment to patients in advance.
Orthodontic review required
chinese dental laboratory For patients with gingivitis and mild periodontitis before orthodontic treatment, oral scaling and regular oral maintenance can be performed before orthodontic treatment, and orthodontic treatment can be started after periodontal inflammation is stabilized. The treatment process Periodontal maintenance must be carried out regularly to ensure the stability of periodontal status.
Orthodontic treatment is not recommended for patients with moderate periodontitis. After the orthodontist and periodontist jointly evaluate the risk of orthodontic treatment, after systematic periodontal treatment, the periodontal status can be stabilized. Try orthodontic treatment.
For patients with severe periodontitis, orthodontic treatment cannot be performed even if the patient has a very strong need for Orthodontics. For patients with severe periodontitis, the degree of periodontal bone tissue resorption is relatively heavy. In the absence of “soil”, the teeth cannot be effectively orthodontically moved, and there is a high probability that the teeth will loosen and fall off. Therefore, it is not recommended for patients with severe periodontitis. Orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic patients with mild periodontal inflammation should not take it lightly after they have passed the whole process of orthodontic treatment safely. The maintenance of periodontal disease is a life-long process. To maintain the aesthetics of the oral cavity after orthodontics, it is necessary to ensure the health and stability of the periodontal, otherwise the loose teeth will not only make the perfect orthodontic treatment effect disappear, but also may cause the teeth to loose and fall off. Therefore, periodontal patients in Chinese dental laboratory need more regular maintenance when receiving orthodontic treatment.
Best time to straighten teeth
Expert Tip: The best time for orthodontics varies from person to person, and the specific time needs to go to the orthodontist, which is judged by the doctor. Children with cross-bite (bite), related bad habits or narrow dental arches may need to be admitted to the Chinese dental laboratory before the age of 12 for preventive treatment and blocking treatment. Some patients may undergo orthodontic treatment after the deciduous teeth are completely replaced with permanent teeth at the age of 12.
The age of orthodontic patients is concentrated between 11 and 14 years old, which is a period of extremely obvious physical development and a stage of social and behavioral development in which a unique personality is acquired. During this period, oral health education for patients and cultivating their oral health awareness are good for adolescents. Oral hygiene is critical.
Oral health self-management measures for orthodontic patients
1. Control plaque
The daily plaque control is mainly done by the patients themselves, and the plaque and food residues remaining on the tooth surfaces and appliances are promptly removed by brushing, gargling, and flossing.
2. Brush your teeth properly
Proper brushing is the primary way to control plaque. The modified Bass brushing method is still the recommended brushing method. Its main contents and precautions include:
- Each time you brush your teeth should last for 3 to 5 minutes to ensure enough time for brushing your teeth.
- When brushing the brackets and their upper and lower tooth surfaces, a special toothbrush for orthodontics should be used for horizontal vibration brushing front and rear/left and right.
- When brushing the left and right tooth surfaces of the brackets and the adjacent surfaces of the teeth, a special interdental brush should be used to brush up and down.
- After brushing around the brackets, use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the gingival margins.
- Brush 2 to 3 teeth each time, and keep the overlapping area between the last one and the previous one.
- Tooth brushing should be done in a fixed order to ensure that all surfaces of all teeth are brushed without omission.
- After brushing your teeth, you should carefully check whether there is soft scale, calculus attached to the tooth surface, and whether the gums are red, swollen, bleeding, etc.
3. Reasonable diet control
- Try not to eat or eat foods with high sugar content.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages or acidic juices.
- Avoid eating foods with high viscosity that are not conducive to oral hygiene.
- In order to avoid damage to the appliance, the food is based on the principle of “eating soft and not hard”.
- Bulky food and hard food should be cut into small pieces and put into the molar area to chew and eat.
- Do not bite hard food directly with your front teeth.
- Chewing frequency should be slow, pay attention to avoid.
- Stop eating after brushing your teeth at night.
Establish good oral habits
In the process of Orthodontics treatment, nursing staff should first understand the causes of bad oral habits and provide timely guidance to ensure the corrective effect. Common bad oral habits include lip biting, tongue sticking, finger sucking, unilateral chewing and mouth breathing.
1. Adhere to the belief in active treatment
Nursing staff can make full use of the personality and psychological characteristics of adolescent patients, seize this golden period of treatment, make full use of the peer effect, and enhance their belief in actively accepting orthodontic treatment.
2. Environmental support
The nurses of the chinese dental laboratory should focus on raising the awareness of parents of adolescent patients, and include parents in the oral health education plan, so as to play the role of parents in improving the compliance of adolescent patients with orthodontic treatment.